Search This Blog

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Saratoga 24 Hour Race - Maybe I should report...

Well, about a month after the Saratoga 24 hour, I'm finally sitting down to write this race report. I do have to say, the race wasn't all I hoped for, but I certainly was much stronger than many other racers.

The weather was picture perfect, with highs in the mid eighties during the day, and lows in the mid sixties at night. After a rather apprehensive morning, I arrived at the starting line with 30 minutes to warm up.

The first 100 miles were very smooth. I held pace with most of the stronger men, and felt completely inside my confidence zone. My small aerodynamic body was key at this stage of the race.

Then we began the next 100 miles. I started feeling sore around 150 miles or so. It began to hit me how much riding I was going to be doing...oh how many miles I would be doing. My thighs began to ache a little, and I had other coming pains.

By the double century mark, pain was coming on harder and harder. This time, though, it wasn't physical pain. It was the breakdown of my mental toughness. I was sick of doing the same 32 miles. When I finished a lap, I would stop not because I was thirsty, but rather because I was reluctant to start the whole process of another lap.

By 250 miles, I was physically fine. My mind was starting to flounder a little with the lack of sleep, but I was physically okay. Time between laps was increasing, and I was losing motivation around 3am.

When the sun began to rise, I felt better. I felt as though I had slept all night. My legs were "comfortably numb," and I felt like a million bucks.

I only completed 320 miles, for 9th place. (1st in age group.) But, looking at the fact I wasn't physically exhausted, but rater tired of the same 32 miles, I see this as a great victory. I know that I'm ready to go farther than 24 hours. As Spongebob says: "I'm READY!!!"

Again, thanks to my sponsors, especially Saratoga Bike and Board. Their continued support of "that crazy kid" has provided invaluable. Your Monday night rides are excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment